Tele2 recognized by CDP with ‘A’ score for climate change efforts
Based on data reported through CDP’s 2022 Climate Change questionnaire, Tele2 is one of a small number of companies that achieved an ‘A’ out of a ranking of more than 10,000 companies. CDP’s annual environmental disclosure and scoring process is widely recognized as the gold standard in corporate environmental transparency. In 2022, over 680 investors with over US$130 trillion in assets and 280 major companies with US$6.4 trillion in procurement spend used CDP’s platform to request companies to disclose data on environmental impacts, risks and opportunities.
- Tele2 is an important enabler for our customers to reduce their emissions of greenhouse gases. At the same time, it is important that we do everything that we can to reduce our own emissions and those in our value chain. Tele2 has therefore launched an ambitious climate strategy for the journey towards achieving our goal of net-zero value chain emissions by 2035. I’m very proud of the international recognition that Tele2’s climate efforts have received from CDP, says Kjell Johnsen, CEO at Tele2.
- CDP saw nearly 20,000 companies disclose environmental data this year, including 70% of European companies by market value. COP27 showed the need for transformational change is more critical than ever if we are to limit warming to 1.5 °C. I’m therefore delighted that European companies make up nearly half of all A List companies around the world. says Maxfield Weiss, Executive Director, CDP Europe.
Tele2 set its near-term science-based targets in 2021 and updated these in 2022 with a science-based net-zero target. Tele2 commits to:
- reduce absolute scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions 90% by 2025 and 100% by 2029 from a 2019 base year.
- reduce scope 3 GHG emissions 60% per subscription by 2029 from a 2019 base year.
- reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions across the value chain by 2035 from a 2019 base year.
Besides rapidly decarbonising its own operations, Tele2 is committed to reducing value chain emissions by promoting the circular economy and placing stricter demands on suppliers.
Read more about Tele2’s sustainability strategy and targets here.
For more information, please contact:
Fredrik Hallstan, Head of PR, Phone: +46 761 15 38 30
Pernilla Grennfelt, Interim Head of Investor Relations, Phone: +46 701 66 31 74
Note to editors
The full methodology and criteria for the A List is available on CDP’s website at: https://www.cdp.net/en/companies/companies-scores
The full list of companies that made this year’s CDP A List is available here: https://www.cdp.net/en/companies/companies-scores
CDP is a global non-profit that runs the world’s environmental disclosure system for companies, cities, states and regions. Founded in 2000 and working with more than 680 financial institutions with over $130 trillion in assets, CDP pioneered using capital markets and corporate procurement to motivate companies to disclose their environmental impacts, and to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Nearly 20,000 organizations around the world disclosed data through CDP in 2022, including more than 18,700 companies worth half of global market capitalization, and over 1,100 cities, states and regions. Fully TCFD aligned, CDP holds the largest environmental database in the world, and CDP scores are widely used to drive investment and procurement decisions towards a zero carbon, sustainable and resilient economy. CDP is a founding member of the Science Based Targets initiative, We Mean Business Coalition, The Investor Agenda and the Net Zero Asset Managers initiative. Visit cdp.net or follow us @CDP to find out more.